There are so many activities you can do with a pumpkin! This is a great mini- theme. How Many Seeds?
Cut the top off. Allow the class to scrape out the seeds. Clean the seeds and let them dry on newspaper at least 2 days.
1. Cut black construction paper into 5cm. x 8 cm. rectangles - approximately 150.
2. Cut a VERY large pumpkin out of orange paper, and put on bulletin board.
1. Show the class the seeds that they removed from the pumpkin. Each child will have the opportunity to estimate how many seeds there are. Write each child's name and their estimate on the board. The person who is closest wins the pumpkin.
2. Show the children how to glue 10 seeds on each rectangle, 2 vertical rows of 5 seeds.
3. After the glue is dry, have the children come up and help you put the rectangles on the pumpkin. Try to get 10 rectangles in each row. Work together to find the final tally.